Watt is Football?
Football is a team sport played between two teams consisting of 11 players each. The objective of the game is to score more goals than the opposing team by moving the ball (primarily using your feet) beyond the goal line into a rectangular-framed goal defended by the opposing team. Matches are played over two 45-minute halves, for a total match time of 90 minutes. Football is the world’s most popular sport, with an estimated 250 million players active in over 200 countries and territories!
The Football Club have 7 competitive teams (6 men’s and 1 women’s), all of whom compete in various BUCS leagues on Wednesdays against other universities and colleges. The men’s 1s, 2s and 3s/U20s also compete in weekend fixtures in addition to their BUCS matches. Team training sessions are on Monday (all teams) and Thursday (men’s 1s, 2s and 3s/U20s and women’s) evenings on both the indoor and outdoor synthetic pitches. Recreational opportunities are available on Sunday evenings on the outdoor synthetic pitch.
- Men’s 1s – competing in BUCS Premier North (Wednesdays) and East of Scotland First Division (Saturdays)
- Men’s 2s – competing in BUCS Scottish Tier 4B (Wednesdays) and LEAFA Division 1 (Saturdays)
- Men’s 3s/U20s – competing in BUCS Scottish Tier 5B (Wednesdays) and Scottish Lowlands Development Football League (Fridays)
- Women’s – competing in BUCS Scottish Tier 2 (Wednesdays)
- Men’s 4s – competing in BUCS Scottish Tier 5B (Wednesdays)
- Men’s 5s – competing in BUCS Scottish Tier 5B (Wednesdays)
- Men’s 6s – competing in BUCS Scottish Tier 6B (Wednesdays)
Intramural Football League
The Heriot-Watt University Intramural Football League is a 7-a-side league which runs every Sunday evening on the outdoor synthetic pitch at Oriam. Anyone affiliated with the university can enter their own team into the league (whether that’s students, staff or alumni) or play as an individual. Keep an eye out on our social media pages for when the sing-up link becomes available!
Men’s 1s- Banji Koya (Head Coach), Craig Sives (Assistant Coach) and Reece Doherty (Physio)
Men’s 2s – Robbie Howieson
Men’s 3s/U20s – Banji Koya (Head Coach), Andrew Mackenzie (Assistant Coach) and Conor McCabe (Coach)
Women’s – Paul Doig
Men’s 4s – Aidan Quinn
Men’s 5s – Harry Woolven
Men’s 6s – TBC
President – Calum Selman
Vice President – Emma Winterbourne
Vice President – Aidan Parkinson
Club Coordinator –TBC
BUCS Coordinator – Barney Stewart
Social Media Officer – TBC
Treasurer – Robbie Logan
Social Secretary – Becca Addie
Social Secretary – Finlay Kenyon
Wellbeing Officer – Tamara Brett
Recreational Officer – Ted Bowie